Thursday, November 12, 2009

Eurafrika Pt 4 - Down to Africa

Our family boarded the plane. It was a 777, a real beauty of plane with engines the size of garages. Dutch people have a way of speaking English that I find hilarious: our pilot spoke with a rhythm like that of Captain Kirk. I was tired, but filled with the energy that comes with seeing new things and visiting strange lands.

I looked out the window and all I saw was giant cotton swab-like clouds covering the face of the Earth. I'm reminded of a climate science article I read that talked about how cosmic rays increased cloud cover and how this had a big effect on the Earth's climate. Looking out the window I could see why: the clouds reflected most of the sun's bright rays.

As our plane ventured south there was a clearing of a clouds and I was able to see the European landscape for the first time. I saw the Alps. I saw Venice lying in the middle of its azure lagoon. I saw the length of the Italian boot until our plane ventured over the candy-blue waters of the Mediterranean. You could see boats and white trails seemingly standing still, seemingly stuck in time.

Eventually the blue Mediterranean abruptly ended with the light brown sands of North Africa. I was over Africa for the first time, looking down below at white roads radiating and occasional green central-pivot irrigation farms that interrupted the monotony of an endless desert.

I dozed off. When I woke up, all I could see was clouds and the dark African jungles below. Not a single light or sign of civilization. This was new territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment