Friday, November 13, 2009

Eurafrika Pt 6 - Tanzanian TV

I have just arrived for the first time on a new country, in a new continent, in the developing world.

Naturally, the first thing I do is lie down and watch TV.

Maybe it's old habits die hard, but one of the things I love to do when I travel is to see what's on. There are a dozen channels: half of them are in English, half of them are in Swahili. I like the rhythm of the language; it's very pleasant sounding.

The English-language channels are news and sports channels. I see BBC and Al Jazeera, but no CNN. I watch news on Al Jazeera for a while; they've really used terrorism to emerge as a global news brand. They've hired British and American anchors; it's all very professional.

I then turn to the sports channels. Most of the sports feeds come from a South African based sports network called Super Sports. They're covering the U 20 World Cup (soccer) final between Ghana and Brazil. I'm rooting for the Africans. I notice one of the TV personalities is wearing a Yankees baseball cap. I wonder if he follows baseball or just likes American iconography.

The game is tied 0-0. Ghana is down a man, yet they are still getting their chances. It is deep into extra time. Brazil gets some great chances to end it, but the Ghanaian goalkeeper brilliantly denies them. Extra time ends 0-0. We're going to a shootout. Both teams are exhausted.

Brazil shoots first; they make their first three shots. Ghana misses their third. After both teams exchange misses, Brazil's Maicon steps up for the win...

BUT he skies it! Well over the crossbar!

Ghana's going to win it now, and sure enough the next shooter makes his easily. I love how the Ghanaian keeper anticipates where the shot is going and moves there instead of just diving. He guesses right again meaning Ghana can win it with the next shot. And they do as the young Ghanaian coolly slides it past the keeper going the wrong way. It's the first time that an African country has won such a major international trophy.

I headed to bed, basking in African triumph. The next day, I would be basking in the African sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment